Snorkeling in Puerto Morelos
Best snorkeling in the Riviera Maya Mexico
Snorkeling Puerto Morelos
Best thing to do in Puerto Morelos
The second largest reef in the world (the Mesoamerican Reef), runs parallel with the Mayan Riviera coastline; spanning all the way to Honduras. Without doubt, some of the best reef snorkeling and diving around can be found off Puerto’s shores. Since the reef is protected as a national reserve, it’s a lot healthier than sections of reef elsewhere when you go snorkeling in Puerto Morelos.
Puerto Morelos Snorkeling
Warm and inviting, the water is crystal-clear and the currents are typically gentle enough for any average swimmer to enjoy snorkeling in Puerto Morelos. You’ll also like the fact that this is generally not a crowded destination like Playa del Carmen, Akumal or Tulum. A perfect place for Puerto Morelos reef snorkeling.
Puerto Morelos Reef Snorkeling
Puerto Morelos Reef
Listed as a Marine Park, the reef is probably the most beautiful and best preserved in the Riviera Maya for snorkeling in Puerto Morelos.
Snorkeling Puerto Morelos Reef National Park
Whether you are a snorkeler or a diver, you can easily take a day trip to snorkel without thinking so much about logistics.
Puerto Morelos Mexico Snorkeling
Puerto Morelos is home to stunning large beaches where you will get the opportunity to relax and escape the buzz of cancun or Playa del Carmen.
Riviera Maya Snorkeling Snorkeling Riviera Maya Ultimate Riviera Maya Snorkeling Guide to snorkel (almost) for FREE Table of Contents Best Snorkeling in the Riviera Maya
Puerto Morelos Snorkeling
The Puerto Morelos reef can be divided into two areas. The barrier reef, about 400 meters from the shore, which you can identify from the beach because of the waves breaking there (a white line), and the area between the beach and the reef, where, venturing snorkeling in Puerto Morelos, you will find corals and colorful fish at the spot calle “Ojo de Agua”.
Snorkel puerto morelos
Can you snorkel off the beach in Puerto Morelos?
It is not allowed to go snorkeling in Puerto Morelos main reef freely from the shore anymore. Instead, if you want to snorkel from the shore, head to the main beach at the spot called “Ojo de Agua” (ask anyone on the beach they will point it to you). Get your mask and fines, and swim about 100 meters out to get to the spot where you will find corals and colorful fish. You will also find there a mini cenote where fresh water meets salt water. It is a bit hard to find, so you can either ask someone to give tips to find it or go with a local guide that you will pay a few pesos to take you there. This options is worthy as the guide will also show you where to find lobsters and bigger hidden fish.
To find out where to go snorkeling in Puerto Morelos from shore, look for the buoy line in the water while standing on the beach that suggests the safe swimming zone. Technically the best place to snorkel is the area between Ojo de Agua Hotel and Unico Beach Club.
Puerto Morelos Snorkeling Tour
If you decide to go snorkeling in Puerto Morelos to explore the reef from closer, you should take snorkeling tours in Puerto Morelos. It won’t be too difficult to find one since there are countless tour operators along the Puerto Morelos Beach offering their services.There are only two options to explore this spot:
- By taking a one- or two-hour snorkeling tour with a guide. You can book the tour on the sea front at Puerto Morelos. The price is $30 per person, including equipment and they take you to 2 different spots on the reef. Recommended if you are in a rush, on a budget or with kids.
- By taking a full-day tour, including 2 or 3 snorkeling stops on the reef, a lunch break on the beach, with sometimes other activities. Prices start from $80, all inclusive. Recommended if you have more time, with friends and willing to discover Puerto Morelos coast.
Snorkel native park puerto morelos
You will get the best service contacting Puerto Morelos Tours & Services. They are a reliable tour agency with good prices. The team members have been living in Puerto Morelos for years and they know the best spot on the barrier reef, they are very attentive to the customer expectation and they give the best snorkeling in Puerto Morelos.
Free snorkeling in Puerto Morelos
You can also get this option to get around the reef from the shore making Puerto Morelos snorkeling easier! Basically, you will find the corals easily from the shore of Puerto Morelos beach, entering in the water in front of the beach Club “Ojo de Agua” Though, sometimes, the current can be strong and can be difficult to make your way aroung the snorkeling area. With this option, you can a taste of the reef, we recommend having your own snorkel equipment to go snorkeling in Puerto Morelos and other spots in the Riviera maya.
Puerto Morelos Snorkeling Excursion
Snorkeling adventure Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos is famous for being protected under the snorkeling Puerto Morelos National Marine Park list. It is part of the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef…the second largest reef in the world. The coral reef has been preserved since 1998. What does that mean? It means that the marine life in this reef has been protected to grow and thrive. You are likely to see angelfish, butterfly fish, lobsters, barracudas, and many more swim through the colourful coral on the ocean floor.
Snorkel Native Park Puerto Morelos
The tour encompasses a 2-hour boat tour complete with 2 snorkeling stops. Includes cool drinks on the boat. The boat has a small roof that provides a little bit of shade, avoiding too much exposure to the sun. Additionally, they provide life-jackets as required by law.
How far is Puerto Morelos from Cancun?
Puerto Morelos can be located just 36 km south of Cancun, 25 km or 25 minutes South from Cancun Airport and 30 km north of Playa del Carmen. Also called Cancun’s Little-Known Neighbour, Puerto Morelos is a gem every traveler wants to know more about.
How to get to Puerto Morelos from Cancun?
- By Bus ADO, Tickets cost $550 pesos
- By Collectivo, Tickets cost $40 pesos
- By taxi, trip costs $500 pesos
- From the airport, Tickets cost $800 – $1200 and a private driver costs $700 pesos.
Snorkeling Riviera Maya
Puerto Morelos has one of the best Snorkeling tours in the area since wit has a privileged location with the second largest reef in the world making some outstanding coral formations to be visited. In a Snorkeling tour in Puerto Morelos through the Reef you’ll be able to see a lot of marine life from parrot fishes to turtles and if you get lucky you’ll see some big stingrays.
So, if you are wondering where to get a snorkel trip in Puerto Morelos, contact us.
Riviera Maya Snorkeling Excursions
True to its historic heritage, Puerto Morelos beach has maintained its unique, laid-back appeal. The soft sound of waves lapping up on the shore naturally provides a relaxing ambiance that gives you days and hours of pleasure and perfect to snorkel.
The weather is nice all year round, a bit fresher from November to February but still warm enough for a deep in the clear waters of the Caribbeans. Those months are also the best time for snorkeling in Puerto Morelos as there is NO sargazo on the beach. From march, those seaweed can invade the beach badly. It doesn´t hurt but the smell is very strong and you have to cross sometimes a few meters of them before getting to the clear water.
So best time to snorkel in Puerto Morelos is from November to March.
Book your trip
Are you ready to book your trip? .Here are the websites you can use to book your trip, get inspired with the best things to do in your destinations and travel smarter.
- Kiwi.com– A great website to book your flights. It has good airfares but you need to search regulaly as the prices are constantly changing
- Booking.com – The best website to book your accommodation, you can book and cancel free up until a certain point, especially when your plans are forever changing. It’s easy to use and has one of the widest selections.
- Airbnb – You can get some really nice places to stay here. If you don’t have an account and you click on this link then you will get $36 off your first booking.
- Hotel.com – Huge choice of hotels with free cancellation up until a certain point. It’s easy to use and has one of the widest selections.
- Agoda – Agoda is very good if you are searching hotels, resorts, houses. They always have attractive promotions.
- Xcaret Group – Xcaret Group is the most famous theme park in the Riviera Maya. If you visit Cancun, check their prices here to get good discounts.
- Viator – If you need to find inspiration about things to do in Cozumel, check on Viator to see the tours they offer for diving and other activities
- Rental Cars – Looking to rent a. car while you are away? I always book through Rental Cars as they do a search of all of the big sites and find the best deals.
- Yacht Rental – If you are thinking of spending time in a paradise beach destination with friends or family, this is a good option to enjoy the beach life.
- Sailing Trip – For cruising holidays, book a sailing trip, they have many trip destinations, lehghts and standing.
- Dive the World – If you are a diver, book a diving trip with them. They have dive packages everywhere in the world with very attractive prices.