Puerto Morelos Mexico
With waters going from intense blue to bright green and beaches of fine white sand, this town should be your first stop when you get to know the paradisiacal Caribbean Sea and all its charms and various Puerto Morelos things to do.
Table of Contents
Puerto Morelos Travel Advisory
Is Puerto Morelos worth visiting?
Puerto Morelos, quick beach destination of the Riviera Maya
Imagine a simple and quiet fishing village, dishes prepared with the best of the sea and one of the most spectacular reefs to learn to dive… this is Puerto Morelos. Puerto Morelos is one of the best kept secrets in the Yucatan. Anyone who happens into this awesome little Caribbean town quickly falls in love!
Among its attractions it hides an old lighthouse, a botanical garden and several cenotes with turquoise waters with stalactites and plants hanging from their ceilings. From the beach, where you can snorkel from the shore, you will see the waves breaking on the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world where locals will take you to enjoy 2 hours snorkeling! If you are looking for a typical, quiet place to enjoy the Mexican vibes, you should visiting Puerto Morelos.
When to visit Puerto Morelos?
Best time to visit Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos’ has warm weather throughout most of the year.
- May brings the beginning of the rainy season, with showers and thunderstorms in the evenings all the way through October. September to the middle of October is hurricane season and is not a good time to visit. But it is also when you will have to best prices.
- December through April brings low humidity, cooler Caribbean waters and warm sunshine. This is a great time to go if you want to visit cultural sites as you won’t be dripping in sweat before you get to where you’re going. It is also the busiest season and Cancun is packed with travelers from all over North America and Europe. The hotel zone will be overflowing at times, so think about saying outside the zone.
- If you want to avoid crowds, the best time to visit this city is April through June (as well as November) are good times to book a trip.
Puerto Morelos Safety
Is it safe in Puerto Morelos Mexico?
In general, the Puerto Morelos area is quite safe. Police and government protect tourism in this region and contribute to its security. You’ll feel comfortable walking its streets at any time of day or night. Be aware, the risk of petty theft does exist here, as it does nearly everywhere. Travelers should be watchful, do not to leave their valuables unattended without fear of them getting snatched. Normal use of common-sense principle here is the way to avoid troubles. Tourists feel safe enough here, they even rent bicycles to go cycling around the area.
TIPS: Make copies of your personal documents, including your passport and ID. Always carry the immigration visa they gave you where you enter the country.
Getting to Puerto Morelos
How to get from Cancun Airport to Puerto Morelos?
Taxi – If you are flying into Cancun you won’t have any difficulty in finding a taxi to bring you to Puerto Morelos. They will be waiting outside the airport. This is probably the easiest way to get to Puerto Morelos from Cancun, but not the cheapest. You should expect to pay around $60.
ADO Bus – There is only one public bus service from the Cancun Airport to Puerto Morelos. This is the ADO bus company. These are modern, air conditioned buses that have a schedule for pickups at the airport. The bus stop in Puerto Morelos is about 3km away from the town so you need to go by taxi or arrange a pick-up with the hotel or resort where you are staying. To check bus schedules and prices, see the link here to the ADO bus company.
Private Transfer –You can also book a trip with a reliable private driver, it will cost in general less than a taxi driver, around 30$ (650 MXN).
*prices from sept 2020
Best area to stay in Puerto Morelos
Where to stay in Puerto Morelos?
Basically, the town is divided in 2 areas: the town side (also called La Colonia) which is on the other side of the Federal Street 3km away from the beach, and the portside located next to the beach.
TOWN SIDE: If you are a backpacker on a tight budget or looking to discover local life, then you will find a few options for hostel style accommodation or economic hotel or Airbnb. Be aware it is a 4k walk into town (in the Caribbean sun) so you will either need to hire a bike, take the local bus, or take taxis so be sure to budget that in. You will find local stores, restaurants and cafe with affordable prices.
PORTSIDE: This side of Puerto Morelos is much more oriented for tourist with beach restaurants, shops and seaview cafes. It is very convinient to stay in the part of the town as the beach is 5 minutes away, you have all the grocerie shops you need, but you will pay a little more expensive your accommodation and everything else!
What to do in Puerto Morelos?
Does Puerto Morelos have nice beaches?
Things to do in Puerto Morelos
If you want to try something different while staying in Puerto Morelos, we recommend this experience of learning Salsa and do Yoga on the beach in Puerto Morelos. You will spend 2 hours dancing and doing yoga in a paradise environment.
Rent a Car in Puerto Morelos
While you should always be prepared and take precautions while driving in Mexico, there’s no need to be fearful: driving in Mexico and renting a car are safe activities for tourists. It is highly recommended to have more freedom to visit the country and no rely on public transports or taxis. You will find very reliable and economic vehicles to rent in Puerto Morelos.
Book your trip
Are you ready to book your trip? .Here are the websites you can use to book your trip, get inspired with the best things to do in your destinations and travel smarter.
- Kiwi.com– A great website to book your flights. It has good airfares but you need to search regulaly as the prices are constantly changing
- Booking.com – The best website to book your accommodation, you can book and cancel free up until a certain point, especially when your plans are forever changing. It’s easy to use and has one of the widest selections.
- Airbnb – You can get some really nice places to stay here. If you don’t have an account and you click on this link then you will get $36 off your first booking.
- Hotel.com – Huge choice of hotels with free cancellation up until a certain point. It’s easy to use and has one of the widest selections.
- Agoda – Agoda is very good if you are searching hotels, resorts, houses. They always have attractive promotions.
- Get your Guide – It is a platform where you will find tours and excurtions in Cozumel and every part of the world.
- Xcaret Group – Xcaret Group is the most famous theme park in the Riviera Maya. If you visit Cancun, check their prices here to get good discounts.
- Viator – If you need to find inspiration about things to do in Cozumel, check on Viator to see the tours they offer for diving and other activities
- Rental Cars – Looking to rent a. car while you are away? I always book through Rental Cars as they do a search of all of the big sites and find the best deals.
- Yacht Rental – If you are thinking of spending time in a paradise beach destination with friends or family, this is a good option to enjoy the beach life.
- Sailing Trip – For cruising holidays, book a sailing trip, they have many trip destinations, lehghts and standing.
- Dive the World – If you are a diver, book a diving trip with them. They have dive packages everywhere in the world with very attractive prices.
join the adventure
Are you following us yet?
Follow us on the social media to get travel inspirations or send us a message. Travel the world with MExplor, we,d love to hear from you!