Isla mujeres Cancun
Best Things to do in Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres Day Trip
Table of Contents
In case you are getting tired of simply chilling at the white sandy beaches of Cancun, sipping yummy cocktails and working on your sun tan, there is plenty of choice for adventurous day trips to Isla Mujeres or to explore a bit more of the Yucatan Peninsula. Everyone has heard of Isla Mujeres Cancun, the beautiful island just off the shore of Cancun, Mexico. It’s only 13km long and less than a kilometer across and can easily be explored in a single day, making it a popular Isla Mujeres Day Trip from Cancun or Playa del Carmen. Isla Mujeres Cancun is characterized by stunning white sandy beaches, cristal blue waters, picturesque rocky cliffs and roads that are mostly filled with golf carts.
Where is Isla Mujeres?
➤ Isla Mujeres map
Isla Mujeres is a magical town with a romantic and relaxed atmosphere, with a great natural wealth, Mayan vestiges and Caribbean culture; located just 6 kilometers northeast of Cancun. A 20 minute ferry ride from Cancun and you will arrived at Isla Mujeres Cancun. It is ideal to enjoy aquatic activities such as diving, snorkeling, boat rides, catamarans and kayaks, zip lines over the sea, sport fishing and much more on your day trip to Isla Mujeres.
How to get to Isla Mujeres?
➤ Isla Mujeres ferry
Whether you want to take an organized tour or are planning your own Isla Mujeres Cancun day trip itinerary you are certainly in for a fantastic day.
1 - Plan It Yourself Day Trip to Isla Mujeres
➤ Getting to Isla Mujeres from Cancun
You can easily reach Isla Mujeres by ferry in less than half an hour from Cancun.
If you are looking for a reliable, fast, safe and comfortable way to make your way to the island than Ultramar Ferry is your best option. They have regular ferries running from several locations in Cancun.
- Option 1 – Ultramar Ferry from Downtown Cancun to Isla Mujeres.
There is an Ultramar Ferry service running from Gran Puerto, the ferry terminal in Puerto Juarez, which is just north of downtown Cancun. It’s the cheapest and quickest crossing with Ultramar to Isla Mujeres however considering that you’ll most likely need to organize yourself a colectivo or a taxi that takes you there.
- Option 2 – Ultramar Ferry from the Hotel Zone to Isla Mujeres.
There is three Ultramar ferry terminals in the hotel zone. El Embarcadero, Playa Tortugas and Playa Caracol. Any bus running from Downtown Cancun to the Hotel Zone will drop you off at any of these three ports. (bus fare: 12 Pesos).
Price for the 22-25 minute crossing is the same from all of these 3 terminals and will cost you 19 USD (round trip)
You will find in Cancun many tour agencies selling Isla Mujeres Day Trip catamaran or sailing snorkeling tour to Isla Mujeres and compare and find the best one can become quite overwhelming! So, we did the hard work for you and selected the best value day trip to Isla Mujeres to help you planning the perfect day trip to Isla Mujeres, Mexico. An organized group day trip to Isla Mujeres from Cancun is the perfect option if you’re unfamiliar with the area and just want someone to take care of the planning for you. Most of these organized Isla Mujeres excursions offer pick up from your hotel in Cancun or Playa del Carmen, making it an easy way to experience the island.
2 - Catamaran day trip to Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres day trip
• Tour duration ― Daily departure leaving at 10 am and we will be back at 5pm.
• Departure time ― Isla Mujeres Catamaran Trip departs everyday at 10.00 am from Cancun or Puerto Morelos. Make sure you ask the Marina´s name if you are not take the transport option!
• Sailing ― Crossing the Bay of Mujeres is a breathtaking adventure all its own, the colors of the sea and the clarity of the water will knock you out!
• Snorkeling ― Stop at the coral reef national park along the way for an hour of snorkeling. Swim through crystal-clear waters while admiring beautiful coral formations, tropical fish, and other fascinating creatures of the sea. All snorkeling gears are included
• Isla Mujeres ― Stop at the magnificent Isla Mujeres, where you’ll have the opportunity to walk around the town’s prominent locations or explore the island at your leisure.
• Lunch ― Gourmet lunch and an open bar are included onboard included in your Isla Mujeres day trip from Cancun.
The trip includes:
- Professional bilingual crew and guide
- Continental breakfast at check in (juice, coffee and sweet bread)
- Snorkeling gear
- Life jacket
- Lunch buffet
- National open bar on board the Catamaran and at the beach club
- Access to sunbeds, showers, hammocks and showers at the beach club
- Optional transportation from Cancun or Riviera Maya in an air-conditioned Van
- DO NOT INCLUDE MARINE TAX (10 USD)
How to get around Isla Mujeres Cancun?
➤ Isla Mujeres golf carts rental
By Golf Cart: If you have a group of 3 or 4 people, rent a golf cart. You will see rental shops everywhere as soon as you get out of the port. Prices usually go from 700-800 per vehicle.
By Moped/Scooter: If you are alone or 2 people, the moped option will suit you better during your Isla Mujeres Day Trip.
Bike: It’s the cheapest and you get some exercise. Many rental bike shop will rent for ac ost of only 150 pesos and you can return the bike whenever you want.
What to do in Isla Mujeres?
➤ Isla Mujeres things to do
• Visit The turtle Sanctuary: If you love turtles and wildlife, then your first stop on day trip adventure around the island should be the turtle farm “Tortugranja” less than a 30 minutes’ drive from the ferry dock in the center of town. This Sanctuary was created to help preserve and protect the sea turtles in Mexico and to educate visitors and locals alike on the importance of turtle conservation.
For a small entrance fee of 30 Pesos (or 3 USD) you can view numerous turtles in all the different stages of their life
• Visit Punta Sur and its cliffs : If you keep going along the main road you’ll soon arrive at Punta Sur – the most southern part of the island and the place to be for some spectacular scenic views of dramatic cliffs and clear waters of Isla Mujeres Cancun.
For an entrance fee of 30 Pesos (or 3 USD) you can visit the outdoor Sculpture Garden and walk down to the steep cliffs for some even better views.
• Chill and Swim in the turquoise waters of North Beach : If you keep going, you will get to the amazing tropical North Beach (Playa Norte), close to the ultramar ferry terminal and the downtown. White sandy beach, turquoise and clear water, palm trees for some shade, perfect place to chill! However, it can get very crowded as it’s super popular among tourists and locals alike.
• Take time for a delicious local lunch and shopping in the centro : Explore the centro for shopping and it is also the perfect place to find a nice shady place to have some lunch and a few glasses of margaritas. You can also head to the beach and eat fresh delicious seafood in one the restaurants there!
• Explore the colorful streets : No matter in which part of the island you are, there is beautiful and colourful street art everywhere! Most of those wall paintings are in the city centre. It is fun to take photos there in Isla Mujeres Cancun.
• Swim with whale shark: Swimming with whale sharks is the it thing to do between May to September. There are many companies that offer tours to see these majestic giants. If this is on your bucket list, Isla Mujeres Cancun is the perfect place to check it off. However, know that there are rules you should follow to swim with whale sharks responsibly and ethically.
Whale Shark Isla Mujeres Season
Isla Mujeres Diving
Playa Norte Isla Mujeres
Day trips to Isla Mujeres Cancun
What if you decide to stay on the island?
Where to stay in isla mujeres?
➤ Selina Poc Na Isla Mujeres
Selina Islas Mujeres was previously PocNa, the first hostel in Latin America!! Situated right on the beachfront, our unique location is complete with a cocktail bar, seafood restaurant, library zone, cinema room, on-site IDC Scuba Instructor Certification Center (the only one inside a hotel in Latin America), and outdoor playground home to a range of music events and group workshops each week. Plus, our spacious, fully-equipped co-living apartments are decorated with locally-sourced artwork and comfortable furniture, perfect for travelers in search of a long-term getaway.
➤ Others hotel options
➤ Vrbo Isla Mujeres
Spearfishing Cancun & Playa del Carmen + 4 tips for spearfishing in Mexico
Puerto Morelos to Playa del Carmen
Puerto Morelos Hotels - Best, Cheap, Boutique, Resorts - Prices 2021
The 10 best vacation house rentals in Puerto Morelos
Diving in Puerto Morelos
Coba Ruins Mexico
Covid test in Cancun & Riviera Maya
Glamping in the Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya Snorkeling Guide to snorkel (almost) for FREE
How to visit Sian Ka'an biosphere reserve Tulum
Guide to visit MEXICO PYRAMIDS depending on where you are staying
Isla Mujeres Cancun
Cancun Airport to Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos Beach Day Pass
Things to do in Puerto Morelos
Snorkeling in Puerto Morelos
Swimming Pool in Puerto morelos - Day for only 200 MXN
Snorkeling in Cozumel - Best of the Riviera Maya
XCARET DAY OF THE DEAD 2020 - Festitival of Death and Life Traditions
See other things to do in Cancun
Book your trip
Are you ready to book your trip? Here are the websites you can use to book your trip, get inspired with the best things to do in your destinations and travel smarter.
- Kiwi.com– A great website to book your flights. It has good airfares but you need to search regulaly as the prices are constantly changing
- Booking.com – The best website to book your accommodation, you can book and cancel free up until a certain point, especially when your plans are forever changing. It’s easy to use and has one of the widest selections.
- Airbnb – You can get some really nice places to stay here. If you don’t have an account and you click on this link then you will get $36 off your first booking.
- Hotel.com – Huge choice of hotels with free cancellation up until a certain point. It’s easy to use and has one of the widest selections.
- Agoda – Agoda is very good if you are searching hotels, resorts, houses. They always have attractive promotions.
- Get your Guide – It is a platform where you will find tours and excurtions in Cozumel and every part of the world.
- Xcaret Group – Xcaret Group is the most famous theme park in the Riviera Maya. If you visit Cancun, check their prices here to get good discounts.
- Viator – If you need to find inspiration about things to do in Cozumel, check on Viator to see the tours they offer for diving and other activities
- Rental Cars – Looking to rent a. car while you are away? I always book through Rental Cars as they do a search of all of the big sites and find the best deals.
- Yacht Rental – If you are thinking of spending time in a paradise beach destination with friends or family, this is a good option to enjoy the beach life.
- Sailing Trip – For cruising holidays, book a sailing trip, they have many trip destinations, lehghts and standing.
- Dive the World – If you are a diver, book a diving trip with them. They have dive packages everywhere in the world with very attractive prices.