The best cenotes in Mexico
Discover the best cenotes in Mexico. Mexico offers a great variety of cenotes to get to know, practice sports and activities, as well as take a refreshing swim.
For some time, tourism in cenotes in Mexico has become popular. A cenote is a naturally made cavity that has been filled with water. In the time of the Mayans it was of great importance and they considered them as sacred places. Nowadays it is a very attractive place on a tourist level.
Table of Contents
What is a cenote?
Cenote is a term that has its origin in the Mayan word tz’onot and which means well or abyss. A cenote is a reservoir of spring water with a certain depth.
The cenotes arose in caverns after the roof collapses of one or more caves. With the accumulation of groundwater, ponds were formed that can be more or less deep. Cenotes can be underground, semi-open or open, characteristics that are related to the age of the structure (the youngest maintain their dome, while the oldest are already open).
For the Mayans, cenotes were sacred places. There they used to perform sacrifices and rituals that were part of their cosmology. It is not yet known with precision, however, how the ceremonies were developed in the cenotes.
Best cenotes in Mexico
▶ In Tulum we will be able to find the Cenote Dos Ojos, a wonder of nature that allows visitors to explore this place. You can practice activities and sports such as diving or snorkelling. Also many visitors prefer to simply take a quiet bath in its cool waters. There is no doubt that we are facing one of the places that you will like to know.
▶ Let’s continue with the Cenote Carwash, also in Tulum. In this case we find an incredible natural space, with birds in the surroundings and crystal clear waters inside. Different fish and turtles also live inside. If you like snorkeling, then it is a suitable place for it to be able to know the seabed.
▶ The beautiful Calavera cenote is another recommendation. It is located very close to the archaeological zone of Tulum. It has crystal clear, cold waters and the name is due to the way it makes when the rays of light pass. Inside we can see the fish while diving, which is one of the alternatives within Mexico.
In Playa del Carmen
▶ In Quintana Roo, you will have the possibility of knowing the Cenote Jardín del Edén. It has green, crystalline waters and therefore it can become a perfect place for diving and snorkeling, which are always the general recommendations.
▶ We recommand to visit is the Cenote Cristalino in Playa del Carmen. It is one of the cenotes with the greatest presence of visitors and can be reached from the famous Playa del Carmen. As in other cenotes, here we will be able to snorkel and enjoy the best views.
▶ The Cenote Noh-Mózon, a beautiful open cenote in the town of Pixyah that meets the delights of divers and bathers. Its location a bit remote and the dirt road means that not so many people venture here. The place is amazing.
▶ The Cenote Lol-Ha is located in Yaxunah, a community in Yucatán, in this place you can find several cenotes and caves, which is even better, because you can take advantage of your visit to know the different cenotes that it has, you will love them . The walls of this cenote are steep and are covered by a cavern, it has a great depth so it is important to use a life jacket, no matter how good you are at swimming, it is for safety.
▶ The Cenote X’Batun is of the open type, it dazzles at first sight because of the clear color of the water and because it is surrounded by great vegetation and although it does not seem very deep, inside it has caves where you can swim or dive. In addition to being able to enjoy the cenote, the place has palapas to rest, a camping area, to make bonfires and trails that you can travel, all of this immersed in nature and its unique beauty.
▶ Ik Kil is a place surrounded by a lot of vegetation, its stone stairs allow you to reach the balconies where you have a better panoramic view before reaching the platform that is the access to its crystal clear waters, normally you can find many people in this cenote It is included in most tours, if you do not like the crowd very much it may not be the best option but you do have to know it because it is beautiful.
See other things to do in Cancun
Book your trip
Are you ready to book your trip? .Here are the websites you can use to book your trip, get inspired with the best things to do in your destinations and travel smarter.
- Kiwi.com– A great website to book your flights. It has good airfares but you need to search regulaly as the prices are constantly changing
- Booking.com – The best website to book your accommodation, you can book and cancel free up until a certain point, especially when your plans are forever changing. It’s easy to use and has one of the widest selections.
- Airbnb – You can get some really nice places to stay here. If you don’t have an account and you click on this link then you will get $36 off your first booking.
- Hotel.com – Huge choice of hotels with free cancellation up until a certain point. It’s easy to use and has one of the widest selections.
- Agoda – Agoda is very good if you are searching hotels, resorts, houses. They always have attractive promotions.
- Get your Guide – It is a platform where you will find tours and excurtions in Cozumel and every part of the world.
- Xcaret Group – Xcaret Group is the most famous theme park in the Riviera Maya. If you visit Cancun, check their prices here to get good discounts.
- Viator – If you need to find inspiration about things to do in Cozumel, check on Viator to see the tours they offer for diving and other activities
- Rental Cars – Looking to rent a. car while you are away? I always book through Rental Cars as they do a search of all of the big sites and find the best deals.
- Yacht Rental – If you are thinking of spending time in a paradise beach destination with friends or family, this is a good option to enjoy the beach life.
- Sailing Trip – For cruising holidays, book a sailing trip, they have many trip destinations, lehghts and standing.
- Dive the World – If you are a diver, book a diving trip with them. They have dive packages everywhere in the world with very attractive prices.